Re: Pg_hba not using local setting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Pg_hba not using local setting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 18:48, Doug McNaught wrote:
> James Hall <James.Hall@RadioShack.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for your response.
> >
> > I changed pg_hba.conf to include the server ip address as shown below:
> > ---
> > Local        all        trust
> > Host        all        123.456.789.10        255.255.255.0
> > password
> > ---
> >
> > But still have the same result (users can login with any password if local
> > is set to trust). The web server is on the same machine as the database, no
> > java used.
> >
> > Did I misunderstand your comment regarding telling the webserver to connect
> > using an IP address?
>
> Yes.
>
> You need to set the webapp's database config to make it connect to
> an IP address instead of using the Unix socket (which it does by
> default for same-machine connections).  I can't tell you how to do
> this because you haven't said what language/app server you're using
> for the website.

The webserver is on the same mahine and is not specifying a hostname
when it connects to PostgreSQL; therefore a Unix socket is used and the
local line in pg_hba.conf governs it.  If you tell it to connect to
localhost, it will use TCP/IP instead.  You then need a host line for
127.0.0.1.

     "Bless them which persecute you; bless, and curse not.
      Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them
      that weep. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide
      things honest in the sight of all men."
                                  Romans 12:14,15,17