Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 14:51, mlw wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>

> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:13, mlw wrote:
>

> My patch only works on the PostgreSQL server code. No changes have been
>
> made to the initialization scripts.
>

> The patch declares three extra configuration file parameters:
>
> hbafile= '/etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf'
>
> identfile='/etc/postgres/pg_ident.conf'
>
> datadir='/RAID0/postgres'
>

> If we're going to do this, I think we need to account for all of the
>
> files in the directory including PG_VERSION, postmaster.opts,
>
> postmaster.pid. In the end if we can't build so that we are either fully
>
> FHS compliant and/or LSB compliant, we've not done enough work on it.
>

> postmaster.opts, PG_VERSION, and postmaster.pid are not configuration
> parameters.

So? I'm not saying they all have to be moved, just they all need to be
accounted for.
> PG_VERSION is VERY important, it is how you know the version of the
> database.
> Postmaster.pid is a postgres writable value
> AFAIK, postmaster.opts is also a postgres writable value.

IIRC the postmaster.pid file should be in /var/run according to FHS, I'm
not sure about postmaster.opts though...

Again, if we're going to make a change, let's make sure we think it
through.

Robert Treat