Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 14:43, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:13, mlw wrote:
> > >
> > > My patch only works on the PostgreSQL server code. No changes have been
> > > made to the initialization scripts.
> > >
> > > The patch declares three extra configuration file parameters:
> > > hbafile= '/etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf'
> > > identfile='/etc/postgres/pg_ident.conf'
> > > datadir='/RAID0/postgres'
> > >

> > If we're going to do this, I think we need to account for all of the
> > files in the directory including PG_VERSION, postmaster.opts,
> > postmaster.pid. In the end if we can't build so that we are either fully
> > FHS compliant and/or LSB compliant, we've not done enough work on it.
>
> Woh, how do we move some of those files into /etc or /var/run if we
> aren't running as root?  We certainly don't want to require that.  I
> guess /etc/postgresql will work if that directory is owned by the
> PostgreSQL superuser, but /var/run will be a problem.

Seems like some are saying one of the problems with the current system
is it doesn't follow FHS or LSB. If those are valid reasons to change
the system, it seems like a change which doesn't actually address those
concerns would not be acceptable. (Unless those really aren't valid
concerns...)

Robert Treat