Re: BUG #2113: PostgreSQL hangs after running for 2 days - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #2113: PostgreSQL hangs after running for 2 days
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Wojciech Sobczuk" <wojtek@brandlay.com> writes:
> I have a 16GB database which is very busy (100 requests per second).  After
> running for some time (sometimes 2 days sometimes longer sometimes shorter)
> postgres hangs.  Last time it happened I got the following error in the
> log:

>     ERROR:  could not access status of transaction 0
>     DETAIL:  could not create file "/opt/pgdata/pg_subtrans/6E75": File
> exists
>     STATEMENT:  SET DATESTYLE TO 'ISO'
>     WARNING:  StartTransaction while in START state

Hmmm ... it seems just possible that this is related to a recent fix:

    * src/backend/access/transam/slru.c (REL8_0_STABLE): Fix
    longstanding race condition in transaction log management: there
    was a very narrow window in which SimpleLruReadPage or
    SimpleLruWritePage could think that I/O was needed when it wasn't
    (and indeed the buffer had already been assigned to another page).
    This would result in an Assert failure if Asserts were enabled, and
    probably in silent data corruption if not.  Reported independently
    by Jim Nasby and Robert Creager.

Would you update to 8.0.5 and let us know if you still see the failure?

            regards, tom lane