Re: PG do not accept quoted names for tables/columns - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: PG do not accept quoted names for tables/columns
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 22:26, Yaniv Hamo wrote:
>   Hi,
> I noticed that Postgres issues a fatal error when given a quoted name of
> table or column. This is a problem in secured cgi scripts, which quote
> everything they get from the user, to avoid malicious users from trying to
> execute SQL commands using some engineered input.

The SQL specification states that you should quote identifiers with
double quotes.  Single quotes are used for quoting values:

CREATE TABLE "testtable" ( "test" INT );

PostgreSQL is SQL compliant on this issue.

Regards,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/