Re: History - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: History
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 00:47, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> One table for the lot. If you use inheritance, it is my understanding
> that it will be the same thing, since all the data will be stored in the
> base table. The only thing you'd remove is the table name.

Not so; inserts must go into a particular table in the hierarchy, and
rows are stored in the particular table to which they belong.  However,
a SELECT further up the hierarchy will also report rows in the child
tables (though not columns added in the child tables) unless the keyword
ONLY is used.

     "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the
      world. If any man love the world, the love of the
      Father is not in him...And the world passeth away, and
      the lust thereof; but he that doeth the will of God
      abideth for ever."             I John 2:15,17