Re: rtrim - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: rtrim
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 19:25, ryanne cruz wrote:
>  hi list.
>
> if there's anyone here who's familiar with teh rtrim function, please i need
> help.

It depends on the datatypes in use.

If you use a type like "CHAR(32)" it will always be right-padded with
spaces.  Whereas if you use a type like "TEXT" or "VARCHAR(32)" it will
be stored as you enter it (it may still have some trailling spaces.

Now, when you use the rtrim() function, but insert the result into a
CHAR(N) column, all those spaces will just be stuck straight back on
again.  This is likely to be what is happening in your case.

Regards,
                    Andrew.

> i have a table that has a column in it that has data in this format:
>
> California, USA
> Nevada, USA
> .
> .
> .
>
> when i use rtrim to erase the ", USA" part, it only sometimes work. a sample
> result would be:
>
> California
> Nevad
>
> my query statement is:
> update table set name=rtrim(name,', USA');
>
> why is it that it only works sometimes?

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/