Re: Locale support is now on by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was thinking about handling this
> within initdb, with a display like this:

> """
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "peter".
> This user must also own the server process.

> Locale settings: collate=en_US ctype=en_US [...]
> (This locale will prevent optimization of LIKE and regexp searches.)

> creating directory pg-install/var/data... ok
> creating directory pg-install/var/data/base... ok
> [...]
> """

That works for me.

> Yes, we'd need to duplicate some code within initdb, but it's not like
> that list of LIKE-safe locales is very dynamic.

But removing the warning from xlog.c would be a Good Thing; it does not
belong there either, by any stretch of the imagination.  As long as both
locale_is_like_safe() and initdb's list are commented with cross-links
to the other one, I don't think we're creating a huge maintenance
problem.

BTW, I still suggest changing initdb to set message_level = FATAL rather
than /dev/null'ing the output.  Having to use -d to learn anything at
all about the cause of an initdb-time failure is a pain in the neck.