Re: Problem with a lookup table! Please help. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Problem with a lookup table! Please help.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 20:58, Chris Jewell wrote:
> However, I now want to have a new table which converts numbers into
> words.  The problem is this, if I join the main table with the
> "translation" lookup table, the column names for each of the four
> categories in the main default to the column name in the lookup table
> and hence are all the same.  What SQL expression should I use to
> translate the cryptic numbers into plain english whilst preserving the
> column headings in the main table?

You just need to name the columns:
 SELECT t.antibiotic,        e1.plain_english AS "Activity against grampos",        e2.plain_english AS "Activity
againstgramneg",        e3.plain_english AS "Activity against aerobes",        e4.plain_english AS "Activity against
anaerobes"  FROM tblantibiotics AS t,        efficacy AS e1,        efficacy AS e2,        efficacy AS e3,
efficacyAS e4  WHERE t.activity_against_grampos = e1.efficacy_code AND        t.activity_against_gramneg =
e2.efficacy_codeAND        t.activity_against_aerobes = e3.efficacy_code AND        t.activity_against_anaerobes =
e4.efficacy_code;

Note that you must use double quotes to quote identifiers, not single
quotes as you did in your table creation definitions, which won't work
in PostgreSQL.

========================================   "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of      God, that ye
presentyour bodies a living sacrifice,      holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable      service."
Romans 12:1