Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld] - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: [Fwd: Questions on 7.3 version for LinuxWorld]
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 22:52, Justin Clift wrote:
> Nadia's questions (from below) have been added into a page in the new
> collaborative area, so people can make notes/comments/etc directly, and
> we should be able to get the results to her by about this time tomorrow
> if it's as effective as I'm hoping...

I was going to add comments to that page, but since this is just my
opinion, it's probably easier to put it out for discussion on this list
first. Also, I wasn't sure if you wanted a "quotation and response" to
the original email, or an entirely new response...

> - What is the 92 scheme specification, and why has support for it been
> included in the latest version of postgreSQL?

The "92 scheme specification" you refer to is the SQL92 standard, which
specifies the query language used by most major relational databases.
Schema support is part of this standard. Implementing more features of
the standard makes it easier for PostgreSQL to interoperate with other
standards-compliant databases.

[ ... anyone care to contribute a blurb on why schemas are great? ]

> - What are the conditions of using PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is free to use, modify or distribute for any purpose,
provided the copyright notice is included. In other words, it's licensed
under the standard "BSD" terms.

> - How long did it take to develop the latest 7.3 release?

By my count (judging from the release of 7.2.0 until 7.3.0), about 10
months.

> - When do you expect to release the next version of the system?

Since we haven't discussed a release date on -hackers (or even have a
firm idea of what we'd like to see in 7.4, and when those features are
going to be implemented), I don't think we should commit to a release
date with the media.

Cheers,

Neil