Re: installation.. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Glenn English
Subject Re: installation..
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 21:06, Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
> Start postmaster with -i.  This will tell it to listen for tcp/ip
> packets on port 5432.

It did indeed. The important part, though, was realizing that postgresql
doesn't listen for IP packets by default.

The -i switch to postmaster isn't a practical solution on my system,
though, because the startup script uses pg_ctl, and -i isn't a legal
option. There's a param in the config file called tcpip_socket - the
first one in the distributed postgresql.config - that needs to be set to
true. It's all in TFM, once I knew to look for it.

Thanks very much.

Postgresql isn't like the other servers I've played with on Linux. I
have a feeling I'm at the bottom of a very high and very steep learning
curve...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com