Re: its really SLOW!!!!! - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Adler, Stephen
Subject Re: its really SLOW!!!!!
Date
List pgsql-novice
Paul and Michael,

I want to thank you guys so much for your input! What
I ended up doing was creating an index on magnet(masterindex)
and my access time has dropped by a factor of 10! Indexing
really works!!!!! Here's a general question,

In mysql, I can define a non-unique index in the create
table command.

  create table magnet (
     masterindex int,
     current int,
     voltage int,
     key (masterindex)
  );

and the masterindex key could be non-unique. (i.e.
there can be many entries in the magnet table with
the same masterindex value, since masterindex refers
to a unique masterindex value in another table.)

When I went to fill this table, under psql, psql immediately
gave me errors saying that magent(masterindex) was being
filled with identical values. So, is there a way of defining
an index as part of the create table command, or is this
a mysql extention? After reading the chapter on Indexs in
the users guide, there is no mention of creating an index
as part of the create table, but rather an index is
a separate entity used to aid the select command. Am I
getting keys and indexes mixed up? (I assume they are
the same thing....)

Cheers. Steve.