Re: next value expression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: next value expression
Date
Re: next value expression  (Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 10:29, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> By accident I stumbled across the following paragraph in the August
> 2002 draft of SQL 2003:
>
>     If there are multiple instances of <next value expression>s
>     specifying the same sequence generator within a single
>     SQL-statement, all those instances return the same value for a
>     given row processed by that SQL-statement.
>
> Is this of any relevance to PG's nextval()?

Somewhat -- SQL2003 defines sequence generators that are pretty much
identical in functionality to PostgreSQL's sequences, although the
syntax is a bit different. I submitted a patch for 7.4 that adjusts the
CREATE SEQUENCE grammar to match SQL2003's CREATE SEQUENCE a little more
closely, but there's a bunch more work that can be done, if we want to
be fully SQL-compliant.

Cheers,

Neil