Re: Optimizer Question/Suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Optimizer Question/Suggestion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner kirjutas P, 03.11.2002 kell 06:30:
> At 09:36 AM 2/11/2002 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Why not do frequent non-full vacuums on only that table, perhaps every
> >five minutes or so?  That's certainly the direction that development is
> >headed in (we just haven't automated the vacuuming yet).
>
> Done this now, and I'll wait for a new high load time to see how big the
> table gets.

You should find the best interval by testing.

I guess the interval could be smaller than 5 min for high loads - I
remember testing this situation for getting top update performance when
several threads were doing updates at full speed and the best
performance was achieved by running a separate backend in a loop that
kept doing VACUUM TABLE with only 5 seconds sleep between .

Hannu