Re: strange regression failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: strange regression failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Has anyone got any idea on why I see things like this from time to time?
>> It seems to be intermittent, which is odd.

> I have a suspicion that the unexpected result occurs when the client
> encoding is UTF8,

In fact, I was able to duplicate the failure after "initdb -E unicode".
So it would seem that the question is why the buildfarm environment
isn't controlling the locale setting.  You must sometimes be running
with a LANG or LC_ALL setting that selects a unicode-based locale.

> because psql/mbprint.c's ucs_wcwidth() function goes
> belly up on control characters (which it probably shouldn't; for that
> matter, that entire file should be removed and replaced with our real
> multibyte support...).

I'm more than half tempted to do this, but I suppose it's too late in
the release cycle ...