Re: Hot Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hadley Willan
Subject Re: Hot Backup
Date
List pgsql-general
I must agree Andrew. Having worked in the Financial sector these kinds
of questions are actually put forward with genuine concern, and when
people are paying the "big bucks" to here the answers, nothing is ever
"yeah, right", it's always answered with a costed solution to meet the
needs.
Given the events of Sept 11th, the serious consideration of a building
being destroyed is actually a potential reality. However, rather than
being a terrorist attack, it could easily be a natural disaster, like an
earthquake or a tornado. Admittedly nuclear strikes are remote ;-) Well,
I'd like to think that, seeing I live in New Zealand.

Most of the upper management don't have a clue as to what can be done on
a lower level to protect that data that is being gathered. In protecting
data, having a reliable OS and Database application is only part of the
solution. I've worked on Enterprise solutions that contain massive RAID
5 volumes with hard mirroring occuring across a WAN to a remote site,
physically located in another building, JUST, to cover the what if
scenarios, in addition, there was log shipping occuring every 30mins to
remote servers in other centres and then nightly backups of those logs.

I tend to take the view that doing database work is best taken from a
holistic approach. I feel happy once I have an overall level of
satisfaction that not only will the database and OS perform to
expectation, but that the "data", the one thing I am really concerned
about is always recoverable.

Basically, backup is available to N degrees of complexity, what kills it
is how much you're willing to spend and at what level you feel satisfied
that you could put your hand over your heart and say, "Yes, this data is
100% recoverable from this point in time, regardless of the following
circumstances...".

My 5c.

Hadley