Minimum permissions required for pg_dump as a backup user - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Minimum permissions required for pg_dump as a backup user
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi All,

Does anyone know what the minimum permission is required to have
database backups run as a less privileged user?

We have tried granting 'SELECT' to our backup user, but it appears that
this is insufficient as pg_dump wants to lock things while it runs.

Is there some privilege less than 'UPDATE' that would allow the backups
to operate, but otherwise allow the backup user read-only access to the
database?

Thanks,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for free with http://survey.net.nz/