Re: [HACKERS] Advice: Where could I be of help? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas O'Dowd
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Advice: Where could I be of help?
Date
List pgsql-general
> just an idea,  but if you're still searching something to work on, you might want to take
> a look on the deadlock problem with foreign keys. It seems there's a new kind of lock needed here,
> because it's possible to deadlock backends where no real deadlock situation occurs.
>
> IMO this is one of the biggest problems in postgres now, because for foreign keys are widely used and
> - even if not deadlocking - performance is limited because of the many "select ... for update" the fk system
> uses limit concurrency to one at a time in many situations.

That gets my vote too for what its worth... I had to remove most of the
FK references from my tables and just replaced them with triggers as the
amount of deadlocks I was getting in stress tests was killing me.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@nooper.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs