Re: Threaded Sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Threaded Sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 15:07, Tom Lane wrote:
> the sort comparison function can be anything, including user-defined
> code that does database accesses or other interesting stuff.  This

This is something that I'd not considered.

> would mean that the sort auxiliary process would have to adopt the
> database user identity of the originating process, and quite possibly
> absorb a whole lot of other context information before it could
> correctly/safely execute the comparison function.  That pushes the
> overhead up a lot more.

Significantly!  Agreed.

> Still, if you want to try it out, feel free ... this is an open-source
> project, and if you can't convince other people that an idea is worth
> implementing, that doesn't mean you can't implement it yourself and
> prove 'em wrong.

No Tom, my issue wasn't if I could or could not convince someone but
rather that something has been put on the table requesting additional
feedback on it's feasibility but had been completely ignored.  Fact is,
I knew I didn't know enough about the implementation details to even
attempt to convince anyone of anything.  I simply wanted to explore the
idea or rather the feasibility of the idea.  In theory, it's a great
idea.  In practice, I had no idea, thus my desire to seek additional
input.  As such, it seems a practical implementation may prove
difficult.  I now understand.  Thank you for taking the take to respond
in a manner that satisfies my curiosity.  That's all I was looking for.
:)

Best Regards,
Greg