Re: Can you combine text variable together to referenece a VIEW name ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can you combine text variable together to referenece a VIEW name ?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> writes:
> On 09/04/2007 00:36, Bigjim wrote:
>> I am trying to combine 2 text variable togther to form the name of a
>> VIEW.  example
>> SELECT * FROM ( 'april'||'may') ;

> I think you want to use EXECUTE from within a pl/pgsql function to
> construct and execute a query dynamically - have a look at this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

That's the only way to do it (modulo that you can do this in any of the
PLs not only plpgsql) ... but a more general point is that the OP is
trying to swim against the tide.  Almost certainly, rethinking the
design of those views is called for: try to merge them into one view.

            regards, tom lane