Re: Reconstructing FKs in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Reconstructing FKs in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 16:57, Tom Lane wrote:
> This means that RI trigger definitions dating back to 7.0 (or whenever
> it was that we fixed the pg_dump bug about not dumping tgconstrrelid)
> don't work anymore.

I thought 7.0 introduced foreign keys in the first place, so perhaps
7.1?

However, if they're coming from 7.0 or earlier would it be appropriate
to have them bounce through 7.2 / 7.1 first?

Pain in the ass to dump and reload twice to get to the latest, but since
they only upgrade once every 2 to 3 years...

Is this the only problem that 7.0 people are going to experience (server
side, SQL changes are abundant)?

> However, if we are going to put that kind of knowledge into pg_dump,
> it would only be a small further step to have it dump these triggers
> as ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT commands instead.  Which would be a lot
> better for forward compatibility than dumping the raw triggers.

If this type of stuff has to be done, then this is probably the best way
to go.

--  Rod Taylor