Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 16:03, Neil Conway wrote:
> > Wow.  That leaves no good Linux file system alternatives.
> > PostgreSQL just wants an ordinary file system that has reliable
> > recovery from a crash.
>
> I'm not really familiar with the reasoning behind ext2's reputation as
> recovering poorly from crashes; if we fsync a WAL record to disk
> before we lose power, can't we recover reliably, even with ext2?

Well, I have experienced data loss from ext2 before.  Also, recovery
from crashes on large file systems take a very, very long time.  I can't
imagine anyone running a production database on an ext2 file system
having 10's or even 100's of GB.  Ouch.  Recovery would take forever!
Even recovery on small file systems (2-8G) can take extended periods of
time.  Especially so on IDE systems.  Even then manual intervention is
not uncommon.

While I can't say that x, y or z is the best FS to use on Linux, I can
say that ext2 is probably an exceptionally poor choice from a
reliability and/or uptime perspective.

Greg

Attachment