Re: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: 7.3beta1 DROP COLUMN DEPENDENCY PROBLEM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 06:54, Tim Knowles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Been playing with the 7.3beta1 version and I've noticed a small
> problem with dependency checking when dropping a column.  If you have
> a view which uses JOIN's to join tables then dropping a column will

This has to do with the way the JOIN currently functions.  At the moment
the JOIN nodes record an alias which has all columns listed, which is
appropriately picked up by the dependency code.

Tom is debating whether or not the alias on columns not used in the
where or clause or returned is strictly necessary.

Indeed, if you delete the dependencies, then drop the column the view
continues to function but I'm not sure thats always the case.

--  Rod Taylor