Re: Default privileges for new databases (was Re: Can't - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Default privileges for new databases (was Re: Can't
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 23:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oh, so we don't modify public writeability of template1 because the
> admin may want to disable write in template1 so all future databases
> will have it disabled.  I see.
>
> So template1 is writable (yuck) only so databases created from template1
> are writeable to world by default.  Is that accurate?

I believe thats the crux of the issue -- but those of us who don't want
newly created DBs to be world writable have no issues with that :)

Could create a template2 as the default 'copy from' template.  Make it
connectible strictly by superusers.  Template1 becomes a holding area
for those without a db to connect to and can be locked down.

Another is to enable users to connect to the server without requiring a
database.  This basically removes the secondary requirement of template1
to be the holding area for those otherwise without a home.