Re: type of some table storage params on doc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: type of some table storage params on doc
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Hmm.  So unadorned 'floating point' seems to refer to float8; you have
> to use float(24) in order to get a float4.  The other standards-mandated
> name for float4 seems to be REAL.  (I had a look around but was unable
> to figure out whether the standard mandates exact bit widths other than
> the precision spec).  Since they're not doubles, what about we use REAL
> rather than FLOATING POINT?

Isn't this whole argument based on a false premise?  What parse_real
returns is double, not float.  Also notice that config.sgml consistently
documents those GUCs as <type>floating point</type>.  (I recall having
recently whacked some GUC descriptions that were randomly out of line
with that.)