Re: lo_import permissions problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From essay182@gmail.com
Subject Re: lo_import permissions problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom,

Yep I have double checked my permissions on /tmp. You may be right with your suggestion about SELinux. I was actually testing this on two boxes and one is a Fedora box which I believe runs SELinux. I have gotten things to work on the Gentoo box now. It would not work when I was logged in as root, but with a less privileged account on the Gentoo box, things worked.

"essay182@gmail.com" <essay182@gmail.com> writes:
> I have been trying to import a file into a table using lo_import and keep
> getting the error

> ERROR: could not open server file "/tmp/myfile": Permission denied

> The file is in /tmp so it is world readable and I made sure the file had the
> correct permissions by doing chmod 777. My user has super user privileges as
> well. I tried importing other files such as /etc/hosts as a test and this
> worked fine. I am running Gentoo linux with Postgres 8.0. Does anyone have
> any idea what the problem is and what I need to do to correct it?

Hm, are you sure that the /tmp directory has world execute permissions?

The other thought that comes to mind is that SELinux creates an entire
new level of reasons for permissions failures.  I have no idea whether
or not Gentoo has SELinux or runs it in enforcing mode by default ...

                        regards, tom lane