TRUNCATE TODO Item - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject TRUNCATE TODO Item
Date
List pgsql-hackers
# Disallow TRUNCATE on tables that are involved in referential
constraints

The above is on the TODO list.  Are there any thoughts as to what we
want to do with this?  The patch I submitted earlier received heavy
feedback saying it wasn't wanted due to rules and triggers (foreign
keys) being difficult to drop and re-create.

Foreign keys no longer have this issue, as such I'd like to re-apply the
check and prevention of TRUNCATE when a foreign key constraint exists.

Primary reason is to prevent users from shooting their own feet -- yes,
I have structure owners who use Access, MSSql, MySQL, and Oracle on a
regular basis.  Oracle and MSSql both (if memory serves) prevents this
case, so it comes as a surprise the first time they run it.