Re: Possible enhancement : replace view ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Possible enhancement : replace view ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 04:08, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Dear all,

> Of course, I am aware that view definitions aren't just stored, but that
>   a lot of rewriting is involved before storing the actual execution
> plan.    Modifying a view definition would entail re-processing of other
> view definitions. But so is the case with the modification of a table ...
>
> What do you think ?

I'm trying to propose a scenario where

1. The SELECT clause defining the view is preserved

2. DROP of undrlying table/column will _not_ drop the view, but just
mark it dirty

3. Using the view checks for the dirty flag and if it is set tries to
recreate the view from its plaintext definition.

Hannu