Re: [SECURITY] DoS attack on backend possible (was: Re: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: [SECURITY] DoS attack on backend possible (was: Re:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Well, if it's a buffer overrun, there is certainly potential for risks
well beyond that of simply crashing the "be".  It's certainly possible
that a simple bug in one cgi script or web site could allow someone to
execute code on the database host because of this bug.  Assuming they
are running the "be" as "postgres" or some other seemingly harmless
user, it's still possible that complete destruction of any and all
databases which are hosted and accessible by this user can be utterly
destroyed or miscellaneously corrupted.

Buffer over runs should be treated with the up most urgency and
respect.  IMO, any known buffer overrun is worthy of an emergency fix
and corresponding advisory.

Greg Copeland