Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 07:31, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> > On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 03:27, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> Actually, I kinda like dbname.username myself ... it means that wne you do
> >> a SELECT of the pg_shadow file, it can be sorted in a useful manner (ie.
> >> grouped by database)
>
> Hmm, Marc's got a point there...
>
> > use a view :
>
> Yeah, but it's painful to do that.

Not if the view is installed with the system.

So the plan could be:

1 .give the new functionality in a "light" version - ie just checking at
connect time, full name must be used when creating user.

2. modify pg_user to show it usename usedomain as two separate fields
for eas of use (join pg_user and pg_shadow on usesysid if you need to
see passwords)

3. in version 7.4 modify CREATE USER and ALTER USER to save the domain
info in pg_shadow.usedomain.

Hannu