Re: Updates failing yet saying they succeeded. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Jones
Subject Re: Updates failing yet saying they succeeded.
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks to everyone who answered my email so quickly.  Yet more proof that OpenSource/Free Software support is better than commercial software.

T'was my bad not PgSQL's fault.  I'm the fool who can't type correctly and entered incorrect chassis numbers confusing myself and accusing PgSQL of doing something wrong.

Regards

On Tue, 2002-06-04 at 17:33, Ron Snyder wrote:
I trust that you did a direct copy-n-paste, and that your first example is intended to show an update that _says_ it updated (but didn't), and your second example is to show an updated that did succeed?

If my assumptions are correct, then it looks like you don't really have any problems (with postgres). You updated one chassis_number, but did a select for a different chassis_number in your first query.

-ron
-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Jones [mailto:oliver@deeper.co.nz]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 10:12 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Updates failing yet saying they succeeded.

I've been having a few problems with PgSQL not updateing data correctly.  Here is some evidence:

autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price =420000 where chassis_number
autosupply_co_jp-> = 'RA2-1002998';
UPDATE 1
autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number = 'RA2-1042998';
fob_price
-----------
    430000
  (1 row)

autosupply_co_jp=> update vehicle set fob_price = 420000 where chassis_number = 'RA2-1042998';
UPDATE 1
autosupply_co_jp=> select fob_price from vehicle where chassis_number = 'RA2-1042998';
fob_price
-----------
    420000
(1 row)

WTF is up with that?

[oliver] hostility:~$ rpm -qa |grep post
postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-server-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-docs-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-jdbc-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-libs-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-devel-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-odbc-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-perl-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-tk-7.1.3-1PGDG
postgresql-tcl-7.1.3-1PGDG

Regards
--
Oliver Jones > Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@deeper.co.nz  > www.deeperdesign.com
Oliver Jones > Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@deeper.co.nz  > www.deeperdesign.com
Attachment