Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 21:31, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 21 May 2002 11:04 am, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
> > > I see. This behavior is consistent with the fact that mktime is
> > > supposed to return -1 on error, but then is broken in every other Unix
> > > implementation that I know.
> >
> > > Any other workaround than downgrade or install FreeBSD?
> >
> > Complain to Red Hat.  Loudly. However, as this is a glibc change, other
> > distributors are very likely to fold in this change sooner rather than
> > later.
>
> Relying on nonstandardized/nondocumented behaviour is a program bug, not a
> glibc bug. PostgreSQL needs fixing. Since we ship both, we're looking at
> it, but glibc is not the component with a problem.

Still it seems kind of silly to have a function that works different
from all other implementations and forces people to use their own
function of the same name (lifted from BSD and also compliant).

Speaking of nonstandardized/nondocumented behaviour, I read from "The
Open Sources" book that if you implement TCP/IP strictly from the RFCs
then it won't interoperate with any other TCP/IP stack.

I hope that Red Hat is not going to be "standards compliant" here ;)

Hannu