Re: [GENERAL] Help with terminology to describe what my software doesplease? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Help with terminology to describe what my software doesplease?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/28/2017 07:53 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> Cluster comparison would only occur if you have two or more clusters on
> the same server, although it's possible to compare across servers,

Explain, because as I understand it a server = one cluster:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-pg-ctl.html

"The init or initdb mode creates a new PostgreSQL database cluster. A
database cluster is a collection of databases that are managed by a
single server instance. This mode invokes the initdb command. See initdb
for details."

> but that would involve a lot more work. AFAIK, the only differences for
> a cluster would be:
> 1. PostgreSQL version
> 2. path to database
> 3. database users (note: it is also possible to make users database
> specific)
> 4. list of defined databases

And anything different below the above, I am thinking checking a dev
cluster against a production cluster.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com