Re: Native Win32, How about this? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Native Win32, How about this?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 02:25, mlw wrote:
> A binary version of PostgreSQL for Windows should not use the cygwin dll. I
> know and understand there is some disagreement with this position, but in this
> I'm sure about this.

> I believe we can use the cygwin development environment, and direct gcc not to
> link with the cygwin dll. Last time I looked it was a command line option. This
> will produce a native windows application. No emulation, just a standard C
> runtime.

It seems that mingw (http://www.mingw.org/) does exactly this and
provides needed headers/libs. And they have also non-cycwin minimal
build environment (MSYS) that supplies make,sh and other stuff we might
use for running initdb and other shell scripts.

> Some of the hits will be file path manipulation, '/' vs '\', the notion of
> drive letters, and case insensitivity in file names.
>
> Unicode may be an issue, I haven't looked at that yet. Is that a must for the
> initial release?

Probably not.

> A couple simple programs can be written using msvc to monitor, start and stop
> PostgreSQL. The programs will be simple using the application wizard, just make
> a small dialog box application.

dev-c++ has also wizards for easy making of trivial user interfaces

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/

Hannu