Re: WARNING: buffer refcount leak - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WARNING: buffer refcount leak
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brian Hirt <bhirt@mobygames.com> writes:
> I'm working on a new machine, and i think it's got possible bad
> hardware, since that seems more likely than a bug in postgresql.  I'm
> wondering if someone has any idea what kind of hardware failure might
> cause this message:

> WARNING:  buffer refcount leak: [424] (freeNext=425, freePrev=423,
> rel=0/0, blockNum=4294967295, flags=0x1c, refcount=-631 30464)

My money is on bad RAM.  That refcount is ridiculous, and I can't see
any way for a disk problem to cause that.  (Unless this shared-buffer
header got swapped out and back in, which seems unlikely considering we
use the shared buffer headers a lot.)  Seems like it's got to be bad
RAM, bad CPU, or some part directly between them --- and you already
replaced all those parts.