Re: raw data broken in 7.2 driver? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From David Bernhill
Subject Re: raw data broken in 7.2 driver?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi Dave.

No network issues. Everything is running on my machine (dual intel with
scsi and 512mb ram). Anyone else that has some figures of the raw data
performance?

regards David

> David,
>
> This is quite a difference? Are there any network differences that would
> account for the difference?
>
> Dave
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 08:50, David Bernhill wrote:
> > Hello Barry.
> >
> > Great! Thanks for your answer. Are there any documentation/discussion
> > concerning the performance of the jdbc driver for postgresql (or some
> > tuning parameters that can be of interest)? Are there any figures
> > related to "blob" performance? I takes me about 11 seconds to insert 1mb
> > raw data in postgresql, compared to 1.5 second in oracle. I tried the
> > bytea type as well, but the result was more or less the same.
> >
> > thanks, David
> >
> > > David,
> > >
> > > The behavior you are describing is correct for the 7.2 driver.  In 7.2 the driver now uses the bytea datatype to
storebinary data (not largeobjects as it did in 7.1 and earlier).  This is documented in the 7.2 documentation.  Also
inthe doc is a description on how to revert back to the old behavior.