Re: Again, sorry, caching. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Again, sorry, caching.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yes.  EVERY person that I've ever known which runs MySQL run for two
very simple reasons.  First, they believe it to be wicked fast.  Second,
they don't understand what ACID is, what a transaction is, or why
running a single session against a database to perform a benchmark is a
completely bogus concept.  In case it's not obvious, these are usually
people that are trying to take a step up from Access.  While I do
believe MySQL, from a performance perspective, is a step up from Access
I always tell my clients...if you wouldn't use an Access database for
this project, you shouldn't use MySQL either.

To me, this means we need better advertising, PR, and education rather
than a result set cache.  :P

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if there are any design patterns we can
look at which would address client side caching...well, at least make it
easier to implement as well as implement it in a consistent manner.

Greg