Re: User Level Lock question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: User Level Lock question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 16:24, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 14:54, Lance Ellinghaus wrote:
> > I know it does not sound like something that would need to be done, but here
> > is why I am looking at doing this...
> >
> > I am trying to replace a low level ISAM database with PostgreSQL. The low
> > level ISAM db allows locking a record during a read to allow Exclusive
> > access to the record for that process. If someone tries to do a READ
> > operation on that record, it is skipped.
>
> If the locked record is skipped, how can the application be sure it is
> getting a consistent view of the data?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Neil

Ya, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

It sounds like either he's doing what equates to a select for update or
more of less needs a visibility attribute for the row in question.
Either way, perhaps he should share more information on what the end
goal is so we can better address any changes in idiom that better
reflect a relational database.

Greg