Re: Reduce NUMERIC size by 2 bytes, reduce max length to 508 digits - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reduce NUMERIC size by 2 bytes, reduce max length to 508 digits
Date
List pgsql-general
I wrote:
> The actual effective limit on NUMERIC is presently 10^128K, which is
> probably enough to count the femtoseconds remaining until the heat death
> of the universe, and then multiply that by the number of elementary
> particles therein ;-).

Should have done my research first.  A little googling says that

* The total number of particles in the universe has been
  variously estimated at numbers from 10^72 up to 10^87.

* The time to the heat death of the universe has been estimated at
  10^200 years (and if there's one significant digit in that exponent
  I'd be surprised...)

So the product I fancifully mentioned would weigh in somewhere around
10^300, and thus be *well* within the capability of even the proposed
restricted numeric format.

            regards, tom lane