Re: How does Index Scan get used - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: How does Index Scan get used
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 18:08, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> PostgreSQL thinks there are only 10 rows in the table.  Therefore it
> will not choose an index scan because for so few rows it is bound to be
> more expensive than a sequential scan.

But then I saw Tom's mail saying that it does use the index.  How is
that?  Surely these few values would all be brought in in one single
disk read?

    "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD make his     face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee; The
LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee      peace."              Numbers 6:24-26