pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)
Date
Responses Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: pgindent timing (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refactor NUM_cache_remove calls in error report path to a PG_TRY)  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Only if they aren't applied by then.  One reason that we normally only
>> run pgindent at the end of the devel cycle is that that's when
>> (presumably) the smallest amount of patches remain outstanding.

> OK, I get it.  Thanks for bearing with me.  The theory that the
> smallest amount of patches remain outstanding at that point is
> probably only true if the pgindent run is done relatively soon after
> the last CommitFest.  In the 8.4 cycle, the pgindent run was done
> something like 7 months after the start of the last CommitFest, by
> which time a fair number of patches had accumulated.

Yeah, that's a fair point.  Maybe we should institute a new policy that
pgindent should happen immediately after close of the last commitfest
in a cycle, instead of delaying until almost release time.

A more aggressive approach would be to run pgindent immediately after
the close of *each* commitfest, but that would tend to break patches
that had gotten punted to the next fest.