Re: Stack overflow issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Stack overflow issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
=?UTF-8?B?0JXQs9C+0YAg0KfQuNC90LTRj9GB0LrQuNC9?= <kyzevan23@mail.ru> writes:
> Therefore, Alexander Lakhin and I decided to deal with this issue and Alexander developed a methodology. We processed
src/backend/*/*.cwith "clang -emit-llvm  ... | opt -analyze -print-calgraph" to find all the functions that call
themselvesdirectly. I checked each of them for features that protect against stack overflows.
> We analyzed 4 catalogs: regex, tsearch, snowball and adt.
> Firstly, we decided to test the regex catalog functions and found 6 of them that lack the check_stach_depth() call.

Nice work!  I wonder if you can make the regex crashes reachable by
reducing the value of max_stack_depth enough that it's hit before
reaching the "regular expression is too complex" limit.