Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 09:58, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Lundi 11 Février 2002 12:33, Gavin Sherry a écrit :
> > The addition of trigger and rule/view
> > recompilation is a convenience at best and there are alternatives to
> > ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN. Take a look at the TODO list: the most urgent
> > items relate to replication/clustering, point-in-time recovery and
> > row-reuse. All in all, it is these features which are much more desirably
> > to current and prospective users.
>
> Many projects ask users to vote for priority features.
> Who can speak for end-users? Gavin, we need a pool in the to-do-list ...
> These are hackers priorities which ***may** differ from end-user ones.
>
> 1) End-user point of view
>
> My humble and personnal opinion, shared by many end-users, is that CREATE
> TABLE AS (or whatever based on CREATE TABLE AS and UPDATE FROM) is not a
> valid alternative. A database sysadmin with 500 tables, triggers and rules
> cannot use alternatives. We need some basic features :
> - to modify schema objects (CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW, CREATE OR REPLACE
> TRIGGER).
> - to drop schema objects (ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN).
>
> I would be very please if some users could express themselves. What is your
> opinion as regards CREATE TABLE AS, ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN, etc...

FWIW, As a user, I still would put my priorities more like Gavin did.
Replication/cluistering is top for me, followed by point-in-time
recovery. Row reuse would be good, although maybe I differ a little in
that I would like 'CREATE OR REPLACE' syntax a liitle more. ALTER TABLE
DROP COLUMN doen't do much for me - it's nice, but for the few case
where my DB design was not up to snuff, I just rename and carry the
column on until my next major upgrade.

Of course my say-so is moot. It's been my experience that people who
vote by suppying code tend to be weight somewhat more hevily in this
process. And I can't think of any way I'd rather have it.

> What is the end-user priority for such features in 7.3 ?
>
> 2) Use of libgda to query legacy databases
>
> Would it be possible to add this feature in the the to-do-list (very low
> priority = in the long run):
> " use libgda to query legacy databases (Oracle, Sybase, MySQL) transparently
> from PostgreSQL in order to access both data (tables, views) and schema
> objects (triggers, functions, rules, types, etc..)".

Easy enough to do in middleware. Just in the fantasy world in which I
somehow spoke for developers' time, I still wouldn't mark this too high
on my priority list.

So there's a little user feedback for you. Hope it helps.

--
Karl DeBisschop
Director, Software Engineering & Development