Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 21:20, Barry Lind wrote:
> I had thought
> that the purpose was as a place to put code that was experimental, or
> not stable enough to be in the main tree, but would someday when it
> matures get included into the main tree.

If by "main tree" you mean the main CVS repository, then that is where
contrib/ is currently.

If by "main tree" you mean "the core PostgreSQL install", then no --
because the contents of contrib/ are typically add-ons, extensions or
utilities relating to the core function of an RDBMS. I'm not aware of
any plans to install any of the contrib/ stuff by default -- if you
inspect the contents of contrib/, this should be pretty obvious.

> Is
> contrib then just a dumping ground of code related to the postgresql
> server (a kind of sourceforge for postgres)?

Somewhat (AFAIK): contrib/ is user-contributed software relating to
PostgreSQL. It's not like Sourceforge, though.

>  I am sure the answer to that question is no.

I'm not :-)

Cheers,

Neil

--