Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 21:20, Barry Lind wrote:
> > I had thought
> > that the purpose was as a place to put code that was experimental, or
> > not stable enough to be in the main tree, but would someday when it
> > matures get included into the main tree.
>
> If by "main tree" you mean the main CVS repository, then that is where
> contrib/ is currently.
>
> If by "main tree" you mean "the core PostgreSQL install", then no --
> because the contents of contrib/ are typically add-ons, extensions or
> utilities relating to the core function of an RDBMS. I'm not aware of
> any plans to install any of the contrib/ stuff by default -- if you
> inspect the contents of contrib/, this should be pretty obvious.

/contrib is for porting tools, analysis tools, and stuff the plugs into
the database, like user-defined types;  at least that is the rule we
have used in the past.

It is sometimes for stuff that will eventually be moved into the main
tree, but not exclusively.