Re :Solaris Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark kirkwood
Subject Re :Solaris Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
In my experience (on Solaris 8 anyway) whether you use gcc or the
SUNWspro cc seems to make little difference...

The problem area I have experienced is that queries that require a
reasonable sort at some point of the plan (e.g have a GROUP BY) will
consume all one 1 cpu (box had 2 of them) for a _very_ long time (e.g.
30 minutes - using either compiler) whereas the same query on a (single
cpu) Intel/Linux takes about 1 minute.

An example is:

SELECT
       d0.f3,
       count(f.val)
FROM dim0 d0,
     fact0 f
WHERE d0.d0key = f.d0key
AND   d0.f1 between '2000-01-01' AND '2000-06-29'
GROUP BY d0.f3

This groups 200000 rows into about 6 buckets.
The "Solaris killer" configuration is where fact0 has 10000000 rows and
dim0 10000.

In general the Solaris box (a 2x450Mhz E220R) is _much_ faster than any
Intels I have access to....

>Actually, the first question to ask might be "are you using gcc"?
>
>It looks to me like s_lock.h/s_lock.c don't have a non-gcc
>implementation of tas() unless you define NEED_SPARC_TAS_ASM
>... which src/include/port/solaris.h doesn't.  Ugh.

regards

Mark