seeking advise on char vs text or varchar in search table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From chrisj
Subject seeking advise on char vs text or varchar in search table
Date
List pgsql-performance
I have a table that contains a column for keywords that I expect to become
quite large and will be used for web searches.  I will either index the
column or come up with a simple hashing algorithm add the hash key to the
table and index that column.

I am thinking the max length in the keyword column I need to support is 30,
but the average would be less than10

Any suggestions on whether to use char(30), varchar(30) or text, would be
appreciated.  I am looking for the best performance option, not necessarily
the most economical on disk.

Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.