Re: How to manage search results? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: How to manage search results?
Date
List pgsql-php
On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 22:27, Marius Andreiana wrote:

> I was wondering how others manage search results.

I just construct my query in the normal way and append a LIMIT ...
OFFSET ... clause to control the finally select records.

Although this gets slower as the user pages and pages further through
the possibilities.  I generally find that this is self-managing though
and the user issues a different search.

Have to watch for search engines though - they are, unfortunately,
indefatigable.  If I recognise a search engine I don't provide the back
/ forward links...

For tables of a reasonable size (up to maybe 10,000 records) there is no
problem anyway, beyond that strange performance holes happen when
PostgreSQL doesn't always switch query plans at the right place...

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267