Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date
Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Where are we on these TODO items:

>           o Allow point-in-time recovery to archive partially filled
>             write-ahead logs [pitr]

I believe we'd agreed that the necessary infrastructure for this is
just a function to tell the current WAL segment name and offset.

>           o Automatically force archiving of partially-filled WAL files when
>             pg_stop_backup() is called or the server is stopped

I see no need for that to be "automatic".  I'd vote for a simple
function pg_finish_wal_segment() or something like that, which you
call just after pg_stop_backup() if you want this behavior.  Trying
to tie it into pg_stop_backup() will only make things more complicated
and less flexible.