Re: [PORTS] Compile with Solaris 10 AMD 64bit Sun CC - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PORTS] Compile with Solaris 10 AMD 64bit Sun CC
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Martijn de Munnik <martijndemunnik@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to compile PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on a Sun Solaris 10 box, dual
> opteron and using the sun studio cc compiler. I get the following error;

It looks to me like we currently cover amd64 only for gcc.  Do you want
to roll up your sleeves and fix that, or is it easier just to use gcc?
If the former, look at:

src/include/storage/s_lock.h

    There's a chunk of code here that's
        #if defined(__sun) && defined(__i386)
    This probably needs to also allow whatever Sun's compiler
    defines as the CPU symbol for amd64.

src/backend/port/tas/solaris_i386.s

    It sounds like this contains code that is not quite
    syntactically right for amd64.  We manage to share code
    between i386 and amd64 for gcc, so maybe that's fixable;
    if not, you'll need to create a parallel file with the right
    assembler syntax for amd64.

src/template/solaris

    There's a "case $host" here that may need modification,
    especially if you decide you need a separate .s file.

It's worth your while to fix this, because the performance with
--disable-spinlocks will seriously suck.  If you do fix it,
please send in a patch.

            regards, tom lane